“Out on the water, the Warne Shield was one of the Club’s most significant trophies. The Warne family of Singapore, who owned property at Mandurah and who visited occasionally, donated the Shield. Their land was on the South side of the Eastern end of the old bridge, where the Police Station and a retirement village are now situated.
The Warne Shield was originally for the Mandurah Race and was first won by Frivolity in 1927. The race was a bruising passage and on the occasion of the 1936 race it was decided to hold a meeting at Garden Island to decide whether or not to continue on. Eventually the race itself was abandoned when Mandurah estuary silted over and the yachts could not get in. The shield was then competed for races conducted in conjunction with Billy Runs. It required two wins in succession by the same boat for it to be retained permanently, and Redwing eventually achieved this on a Billy Run race held in April 1936.
Redwing was owned by a Mr Izard – although he never sailed her himself. On this occasion she was sailed by Jack Potts. Mr Izard subsequently donated a replacement trophy, the “Redwing Shield”; to be the permanent property of the Club and held for one year by the winner of a race that must be conducted on a Billy Run – course and handicaps to be decided prior to the race. Avalanche – Commodore Cooper’s boat – was the first winner of this new shield in a race conducted at Garden Island during the Billy Run in January 1937. Sadly, the Redwing Shield seems to have disappeared over the years.
The Warne Shield, however, came back to the Club in 1976, was mounted on a larger shield and reinstated as a Club trophy. It is now sailed for in the Rockingham Race, and the first boat to win it after that 40-year break was George.” (extracted from the book Sailing to Success – The History of Fremantle Sailing Club, by Trevor Sutcliffe, 2000)