Bernie Kaaks, Principal Race Officer, reports on the Results and Presentation Night held on Saturday, 20 May for the 2017 Fremantle to Bali Ocean Classic Race & Rally….
The Presentation Party was great! Open air, stand up style, finger foods, traditional Balinese dancing, and good humour all round. Congratulations to Wild Side, with their line honours, first IRC and first YAH, the night belonged to them. Garth rang the biggest bell in Bali, which shook the ground and split the ear drums. What a superb way to finish the event. Rob Thomas announced the next event in 2020 was set in stone and it is possible that sponsorship support from the Indonesian Department of Tourism may return for that event.
Some interesting statistics from the event:
* Walk on the Wild Side’s winning time was the third fastest on record.
* Scarlet Ribbon’s ETA at Benoa was only 46 minutes and 10 seconds off her actual arrival time.
* Toroa IV completed the voyage with just 3.5 hours on the engine and still managed to be remarkably close on her ETA’s along the way. She won the Rally points score.
* Kondili’s crew produced the very best video on the way, complete with an authentic, original sound track. We played bits of it last night and will show it in full at the after party in September.
* One boat managed to complete the 1440 nautical mile voyage with just 1028.5 miles on the clock. We hope he does not have to any dead reckoning using his ship’s log!
RALLY RESULTS/ OTHER:
First: Toroa IV, Paul Schapper
Second: (with some superb video): Kondili, Josh Hearse
Third: Napea, Craig & Janette Hansen
Navigator’s Prize: Joe Czeschka (Sadiqi Ra)
Endurance Award: Sadiqi Ra
Rally Line Honours: Napea, Craig & Janette Hansen
Closest to the pin: The Boulder Yacht Club entry, Scarlet Ribbon – only 46 minutes and 10 seconds off its predicted arrival at the Bali finish line – far away the closest.